One of last year’s most popular Connected Educator Month features, the CEM Book Club, will be returning with (something nicer than) a vengeance this year — there will be four book clubs, each featuring a notable author and their work. A new book club will kickoff each week during October. Each book club will last six weeks each, but discussions can continue long after the book club ends
- When – A new book launches each week in the month of October
- Where – In a cool new CEM educational community called edConnectr
- How – Twitter chats and webinars with the authors, asynchronous exploration of the key ideas with others in the club, weekly author updates and videos.
- Why – “None of us is as smart as all of us.” You will learn new things and make connections with interesting people.
Book Club Schedule
October 1 – 7pm – Book Club Twitter chat hosted by the four CEM feature book authors. Join us for a lively conversation around key themes in the books. Plenty of time for Q&A.
October 1 – Teacherpreneurs: Innovative Teachers Who Lead But Don’t Leave kickoff
October 7 – The Connected Educator: Learning and Leading in a Digital Age kickoff
October 21 – Invent To Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom kickoff
October 28 – What School Leaders Need to Know About Digital Technologies and Social Media kickoff
Grab your free book
We’ll be sharing more details about the clubs in the days ahead, but wanted you to know that in preparation, the Kindle version of one of this year’s featured books, Invent to Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom, is being offered free to CEM participants (and maybe others, too) between now and Friday, September 20. Details here.
Be sure to join edConnectr, as all book club events and discussions will be happening there.
First CEM Video Released
A compelling cast of connected educators at all levels are the stars of our first video, explaining why connection is so important, how they got there, and what it has meant to them as educators–a great mind-stuffer for your favorite unconnected colleague, coming to a hyperlink near you.
Ongoing Events & Activities
Three reminders about great pre-CEM events underway, in case you missed them earlier:
- Nominations for the White House’s Connected Education Champions of Change will CLOSE on Friday, September 20–be sure to nominate your favorite connected educator for a chance to be honored by the president at a White House ceremony during Connected Educator Month…
- OpenIDEO’s new design challenge, How to inspire young people to cultivate their creative confidence, kicked off yesterday, and you’ll want to get involved sooner than later in this opportunity to engage with some of the top designers in the world…
- GlobalSTEMx, the worldwide STEM conference with a twist (it includes 20+ disciplines that aren’t part of traditional math/science education) kicks off tomorrow (Sept 19) and continues through September 21; it’s a great prequel for the Innovating STEM and Literacy theme that will be core to CEM itself this year!
For more CEM help and resources, see the CEM Getting Started page, which includes links to our CEM Starter Kit, Help Desk, District/LEA Toolkit, and more. Participating organizations should be sure to check out the CEM Resource Center to plan activities/events and get the word out about them.
Powerful Learning Practice
Latest posts by Powerful Learning Practice (see all)
- We’re giving thanks for teachers around the globe - November 21, 2017
- Innovation- What Do We Need To Know? - October 17, 2017
- Graduate Credit (License Renewal) Laying by the Pool - July 8, 2017