Blogging can be a smart move professionally, or it can be a powerful learning strategy for student achievement. But with all the platforms and blogs out there, it can be tough to know how to get started and maintain a great blog. We’ve put together some blogging tips for teachers who want to leverage this tool.
Experiment with different blogging sites
- Features and cost may greatly vary
- Some are better suited for younger bloggers
- Administrative control is available for educators on some
- Blogs can be private or public
Define your purpose & be consistent
- Do you want to write about educational issues, classroom activities, personal hobbies, family?
- Are you blogging as a professional or with your students?
- Create a brand
- Readers will return to blogs that maintain a consistent theme
Decide who will be your audience
- Students, parents, educational colleagues, leaders, or others
Engage your readers
- Make it personal by writing in the first person
- Share your experiences, opinions and ideas
- Encourage and respond to comments left on your blog
Let others know about your blog
- Share your blog through social media channels
- Post your blog URL on your class web page, newsletters, etc.
Blogging 101: want to learn more?
Want to get started with blogging in your classroom or professional life? Join Powerful Learning Practice for a two-week Blogging 101 eCourse where you will learn:
- The value of blogging as an educational professional
- Why blogging with students is powerful
- What platform is best suited to your needs
- The importance of branding
- How-to create and improve traffic to your blog
- How-to create activities and lessons that include student created blogs
This course launches April 15 and is only $90! Space is limited, so register now!Enroll now
Enjoy this? Please share!
Please download & print a free copy, and don’t forget to share with your friends!