Twitter Tips for TeachersFree resources from Powerful Learning Practice
Free Twitter tips for teachers
Many educators are leveraging Twitter as a powerful learning strategy in the 21st Century.
But how do you get started with Twitter? Maybe you made an account that never really went anywhere.
We’ve put together some best practices for using Twitter in your classroom or as a professional.
Create a username that will make it easy for others to find you
- A name such as plpnetwork is going to be more easily recognized than ed123plp0xz
- You can change usernames (w/o loss of data) but it’s best to not make a habit of switching names so your followers aren’t confused
- If you choose a short username, it will make it easier for others to retweet your posts
Check Twitter daily to review posts and add new information
- Many educators find it easier to make a habit of going online at the same time so it becomes part of their daily routine.
- Keep abreast of who and what’s trending in education. Twitter provides a wealth of information for educators.
Add a photo and information to your profile
- People are more likely to follow you if you have a profile photo
- Post some information about who you are and a few tweets to get started
Become a producer
- It’s okay to lurk (at first), but to take full advantage you’ll need to move beyond being a consumer of information
- Recommend educational resources
- Challenge, expand and share your professional philosophies and pedagogies
Use Twitter to engage students and parents
- Keep students and parents informed through Twitter
- Develop classroom projects/lessons that involve the use of Twitter
- Create a classroom Twitter account and/or hashtag for your class to follow and use
- Use Twitter as a class (esp. for those with students to young to have their own accounts)
Enjoy these tips? Please share!
Please download & print a free PDF copy, and don’t forget to share this page with your friends!
Free Twitter Handbook for Teachers
Grab your free Twitter Handbook for Teachers
Get your free Twitter Handbook for Teachers, a 13-page guide to Twitter created by Powerful Learning Practice.
This guide is for educators who are new to Twitter, or veterans to the social media platform who want to bring Twitter into their classrooms or grow their network. Is that you? Then go ahead and get your free copy!
Twitter for the Connected Classroom Course
Transform your teaching and professional practices with Twitter.
Take our online course to learn about the intricacies of Twitter and best practices for using it as a professional, with students, and parents.
Self-paced, instant access. Just $29.