Team Members: Carl Beehler, Brooke Coleman, Carey Kopeikin, Celeste Payne, Ben Temple
Community: ADVIS Year 1, 2010-2011
While each team member had individual ideas of projects in which they were interested, we decided to develop a professional learning network (PLN) as an online community for boarding school educators to share ideas and to discuss best practices. Members of our team reached out to residential life leaders (including Deans of Residential Life and Deans or Directors of Students) at nine regional boarding schools.
- Problem, Issue, or Possibility
- Objectives and Assessment
- Implementation Plan
- Evaluation and Results
Objective: We wanted to create a pï»¿rofessional learning networking for boarding school faculty.
Assessment: Self-sustained participation and discussion on ï»¿the PLN would be the signs of long-term success of our project.
We now have a list of contacts to whom we will continue to reach out. We already know that we will be meeting with residential life educators at least one other boarding school this fall.
Possible future topics for our PLN include:
- student handbooks
- residential life curriculum – does your school have one? how have you implemented it?
- dorm parents as residential life educators & leaders
- phones – how do you reach students with time sensitive information when they are not in class?
- acceptable use policies
- technology & social media use education
- inclusive policies addressing cross sex & same sex relationships
- policy on sexually intimate behavior between students
- alcohol & drug policy
- dress code
- weeknight evening schedule
About Action Research Projects
Action research is a process in which Powerful Learning Team members collaboratively examine their own educational practice systematically and carefully. Action research is:
- Disciplined inquiry into a problem or possibility within the school or classroom
- Collaborative and usually takes place in a community of practice
- Meaningful, positive, and reflective
- Data-driven, action-based, improvement-focused
Latest posts by Powerful Learning Practice (see all)
- Hurry, you do not want to miss out on this… - November 3, 2020
- Resist the Urge to Quit Prematurely - October 26, 2020
- Let’s Move Past Feeling Disconnected from Your Students. Words Matter - October 24, 2020